Show notes: - Qualifier games, Belarus v. Switzerland, Canada v. Germany - USA v. Switzerland - welcome to the international world Switzerland and Jonas Hiller - Slovakia v. Sweden - Slovakia upsets 2006 Gold Medalist - USA v. Finland - what a blowout! Bad coaching? - Canada v. Russia - Nash-Toews-Richards is the highest-scoring checking line of all time - Ovechkin v. Crosby? Horseshit - Canada's defense chips in for 7 points - Canada v. Slovakia - Canada has to realize Slovakia is a hockey power - Hossa, Gaborik, Demitra, Chara, Halak are all major names in hockey - Canada has to play the same game they played against Russia - Slovakia will try and play tight D and match Chara up against everyone - Canada will win either in a blowout or a 3-1 win with an empty net
- Czech Republic vs. Russia - AO rocks Jagr - Team Canada vs. USA - Thoughts on how Canada lost - I tell Crosby that he was terrible - Thoughts on how the US won - Kesler-Langenbrunner-Brown - Goaltending questions - Sadness :(
- I invite you to ask me some questions about hockey, from basic questions to personal questions about the game. Leave me a comment here, hit me up at benjaminstonier at gmail dot com, or drop me a line on Twitter. - Mike from http://politicsandpucks.blogspot.com wants to be on the show. Cool! - Some thoughts on if the 2010 Olympics are the worst, as has been alleged - I was right, McGuire was wrong about Germany v. Finland - Peter Forsberg vs. Jaromir Jagr - 2014 Sochi thoughts and why the NHL better be there
- First show with the new theme, thanks Joé - I discuss some stupid shit Pierre McGuire said - Team Canada - thoughts on Marty Brodeur vs. Ryan Miller - Slovakia vs. Russia - Sweden vs. Belarus and I can't believe they didn't play Lundqvist after 2002 - The 4 big trades before the Olympic Freeze - I wax poetic about the 2003 Stanley Cup Finals
Note: I cocked up and said that JS Giguere came from Atlanta, not Anaheim, and sorta forgot part of the Finnish team. But I'm doing this to learn, too. So bite me.
- First podcast created with the McGuire Is Terrible idea, if not the name (I can't remember if I mentioned it) - Discusses Canada vs. Norway, Feb. 16th/10 at the 2010 Olympic Games - Specific emphasis on line combination, slight fellation of Jarome Iginla and Drew Doughty - Thoughts on Canada's goaltending situation.
- First episode of McGuire Is Terrible, before I had even thought of the name. - Actually inspired by Shawn Roarke, the managing editor at www.nhl.com, who should never be put on live commentary again. - Specifically, I discuss the Czech-Slovak game of Feb 17th at the Vancouver 2010 Olympics and how the Czechs have a high-powered offensive lineup but the Slovaks shouldn't be counted out - I was right, Jagr had 2 points.
Hello, and welcome to McGuire Is Terrible! This will hopefully be a podcast about the state of hockey. It's called McGuire Is Terrible because I hate Pierre McGuire, TSN/NBC broadcaster who does a lot of colour commentary. In the world of die-hard hockey fans, McGuire is known for his terrible thoughts on hockey and how he's almost always wrong. I figured that it can't actually be that hard to do his job, and so McGuire Is Terrible was born.
I may be inviting more people to join me on staff here, but if it's just me, you might as well relax and enjoy. I'll put up the 2 files I've created shortly...so welcome, welcome!
I'm a 24 year old guy from Nova Scotia, Canada, who self-identifies as a moderately liberal atheist who likes any number of geeky habits.
Want to contact me? Try benjaminstonier at gmail dot com. It works, I promise.